Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Farming the Back Yard

Okay, other folks would call it "gardening." A couple of weekends ago the Mr. set out to tame a very overgrown pre-existing garden plot in our new back yard. It was already fenced off (and protected from the munching of larger animals by chicken wire):
Photobucket
The above was after a good bit of heavy weeding. And de-snaking. Yes. Snakes. That's when I went inside and said, "Tell me when to come take another picture. I'll be buying stilts off the internet." Here's part of the ridicumongus pile of weeds he pulled out of it (by the end it was about five feet in diameter and came up past my knees):
Photobucket
Tilled up, and ready for topsoil:
Photobucket
Note the monstrous rosemary bush in the bottom right. Other survivors of neglect included some chives and a spearmint plant. And... planted!
Photobucket
Because I'm twelve years old, I found the following hilarious. He mixed this into the topsoil before spreading it:
Photobucket
"We are Number 1 in the Number 2 Business."
And, voila! He was able to cram tomatoes, okra, several kinds of pepper, some cucumbers, some squash, and others into that space, and so far they seem to be doing pretty well. We also planted a nice little herb garden in an existing window-box-like planter on one of the fence walls in the back yard. It's going to be nice to read "fresh [insert name of herb]" in a recipe, and not roll my eyes. I don't know about you folk, but buying anything like that fresh at a grocery store in these parts adds up fast, so I never do. Ha, dried Basil. Ha.

1 comment:

  1. Fun!

    I eyed the peppers but ultimately decided that since I don't eat them, and I was the one planting, that I'd pass. I'll send you a picture of my little farm!

    ReplyDelete