Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Less than $10: An Ode to Craigslist

Speaking of "less than $10," my sister-in-law informs me that somebody on HGTV recently spray-painted a chandelier like we did. Maybe we should demand royalties. But back to Craigslist: for eight bucks apiece, we picked up these two chairs from (as it turned out) someone who lives about three miles down the road from us. They're a neat shape, and the finish looks great with our dining table. They needed some cleaning up, and besides a minor flaw that we discovered when we got them home (their arms are about a quarter of an inch too high to fit under the table), I think they're going to work. I took off the cushions (one was red, one was green. I didn't ask.):
Photobucket
...and recovered them with upholstery fabric.
Photobucket
I may recover them again at some point. This fabric, despite how the picture looks, is not at all pink, but different shades of gold; some blocks are warmer, and some have a greenish tint I thought would blend nicely with the green chairs and the gold-ish walls. Ultimately, the checkerboard bit is a lot less subtle in our house than it was in the store and I still may keep my eye out for other options. At any rate, the Christmas cushions and stains and such are gone and I'm happy with that for now. We still have to figure out how best to fix the arm-height problem. So far our plan is to saw a half-inch off the bottom of all the legs. Either that or screw something into the feet of the table that raises it up enough. Suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. The problem if you start sawing off half an inch of the bottom of the legs is that you have to keep evening them up and then you end up with chair legs two inches long. Or was that a Bugs Bunny cartoon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. route out little notches in the table top to match up with the chair arms. Might also come in handy if you ever have squirmy kids...

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm--I agree, I'd go for lifting the table as more reversible. Unless that makes your other chairs too low . . . Cushions?

    Mombo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you like my new screen name?

    "Mombo"--sadly, it can't be official as it was already taken.

    ReplyDelete