Friday, April 24, 2009

Another Episode of 'Things that Were Brass, and Now Aren't.'

That about sums it up. I spray-painted something else--in fact, another light fixture. This time it was a two-bulb brass lamp (of the "bankers'" variety, I think?), purloined from the Mr.'s parents' garage. (Apologies if, by letting us have it, you expected it to stay brass-colored...) A "before" picture:
It then got the same treatment as the chandelier. Well, not quite. Home Depot doesn't sell the same spray paints that Lowe's does, so I tried one of those supposedly "hammered metal" ones. (Sidebar: I like the result, but I probably wouldn't go for it again; it seemed like it took a LOT of paint to get an even finish, and I think I like the matte metallic finish of the Valspar Metallic stuff I used before a little better.) Anyway, I wiped it down, taped off the pull chains and the bulb sockets and went to town. During (my toe was an integral part of the process):
I don't know how I escaped before, but for some reason this particular spraying left me completely paint-flecked. Maybe it was windier. Again, I'd suggest wearing goggles to avoid the "OMG I FLECKED MY EYEBALL" thing. I topped it off with a new JONSBO shade from Ikea, and voila!
I should have taken a closer-up picture of the finish. It does look hammered-metal-y. I'll try to remember to update.

No comments:

Post a Comment